Foreign Exchange Guide to Anguilla
East Caribbean dollar
In this guide we review :
- East Caribbean dollar info - general info about the East Caribbean dollar
- Travelling in Anguilla - currency & money saving tips
- Buying East Caribbean dollar cash online - travel money for Anguilla
- Sending money to Anguilla - save on East Caribbean dollar bank transfers to Anguilla
- East Caribbean dollar exchange rates - latest info & charts.
East Caribbean dollar (XCD) general currency information
The three letter currency code for the East Caribbean dollar is XCD and the symbol is $. It is the domestic currency in Anguilla, Antigua And Barbuda, Dominica, Grenada, Montserrat, Saint Kitts And Nevis, Saint Lucia and Saint Vincent And The Grenadines.
Anguilla currency and money saving tips
Anguilla's official currency like many of the of the former British islands in the area, is the Eastern Caribbean Dollar, EC$ which is pegged to the US dollar at around EC$2.7=1US dollar. US dollars are accepted regularly (and legally) and generally prefered if not required. Credit cards are not always accepted, particularly in smaller establishments
Anguilla Trip Checklist
Travel money for Anguilla
Save money and time by Ordering your East Caribbean dollar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the XCD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in East Caribbean dollar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Anguilla
When sending money to Anguilla it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or East Caribbean dollar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted XCD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Anguilla.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more East Caribbean dollar deposited into the recipient bank account in Anguilla and less margins and fees kept by the banks!