Foreign Exchange Guide to Aruba
In this guide we review :
- Aruban florin info - general info about the Aruban florin
- Travelling in Aruba - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Aruban florin cash online - travel money for Aruba
- Sending money to Aruba - save on Aruban florin bank transfers to Aruba
- Aruban florin exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Aruban florin (AWG) general currency information
Aruba currency and money saving tipsThe official currency in Aruba is the Florin, however, US Dollars are widely used and accepted, even when prices are specified in Florin. Bear in mind that very little is produced in Aruba and the restaurants and shopping are marketed at an upscale audience, so things aren't cheap. On top of that, Aruba has a 3% sales charge, this is sometimes charged at point of sale and sometimes incorporated into the stated price so check before buying. The upside of a ritzy location is that the standard of living is fairly high amongst Arubans so the local buses are clean and will cost a lot less than a taxi for your trip from and to the airport.
Aruba Trip Checklist
Travel money for Aruba
Save money and time by Ordering your Aruban florin online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the AWG cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Aruban florin otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Aruba
When sending money to Aruba it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Aruban florin amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted AWG amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Aruba.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Aruban florin deposited into the recipient bank account in Aruba and less margins and fees kept by the banks!