Foreign Exchange Guide to Belize
In this guide we review :
- Belize dollar info - general info about the Belize dollar
- Travelling in Belize - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Belize dollar cash online - travel money for Belize
- Sending money to Belize - save on Belize dollar bank transfers to Belize
- Belize dollar exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Belize dollar (BZD) general currency information
Belize currency and money saving tips
Belize Trip Checklist
Travel money for Belize
Save money and time by Ordering your Belize dollar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BZD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Belize dollar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Belize
When sending money to Belize it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Belize dollar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BZD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Belize.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Belize dollar deposited into the recipient bank account in Belize and less margins and fees kept by the banks!