Foreign Exchange Guide to Bhutan
In this guide we review :
- Bhutanese ngultrum info - general info about the Bhutanese ngultrum
- Buying Bhutanese ngultrum cash online - travel money for Bhutan
- Sending money to Bhutan - save on Bhutanese ngultrum bank transfers to Bhutan
- Bhutanese ngultrum exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Bhutanese ngultrum (BTN) general currency information
Bhutan Trip Checklist
Travel money for Bhutan
Save money and time by Ordering your Bhutanese ngultrum online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BTN cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Bhutanese ngultrum otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Bhutan
When sending money to Bhutan it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Bhutanese ngultrum amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BTN amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Bhutan.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Bhutanese ngultrum deposited into the recipient bank account in Bhutan and less margins and fees kept by the banks!