Foreign Exchange Guide to Botswana
In this guide we review :
- Botswanan pula info - general info about the Botswanan pula
- Botswanan pula in the markets - recent BWP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Botswanan pula cash online - travel money for Botswana
- Sending money to Botswana - save on Botswanan pula bank transfers to Botswana
- Botswanan pula exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Botswanan pula (BWP) general currency information
Botswanan pula (BWP) in the markets
The chart below shows the BWP to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Botswana Trip Checklist
Travel money for Botswana
Save money and time by Ordering your Botswanan pula online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BWP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Botswanan pula otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Botswana
Sending money to Botswana
When sending money to Botswana it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Botswanan pula amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BWP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Botswana.
Bank Transfers to Botswana
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Botswanan pula deposited into the recipient bank account in Botswana and less margins and fees kept by the banks!