Foreign Exchange Guide to Burundi
In this guide we review :
- Burundian franc info - general info about the Burundian franc
- Buying Burundian franc cash online - travel money for Burundi
- Sending money to Burundi - save on Burundian franc bank transfers to Burundi
- Burundian franc exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Burundian franc (BIF) general currency information
Burundi Trip Checklist
Travel money for Burundi
Save money and time by Ordering your Burundian franc online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BIF cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Burundian franc otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Burundi
When sending money to Burundi it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Burundian franc amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BIF amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Burundi.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Burundian franc deposited into the recipient bank account in Burundi and less margins and fees kept by the banks!