Foreign Exchange Guide to Cambodia
In this guide we review :
- Cambodian riel info - general info about the Cambodian riel
- Travelling in Cambodia - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Cambodian riel cash online - travel money for Cambodia
- Sending money to Cambodia - save on Cambodian riel bank transfers to Cambodia
- Cambodian riel exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Cambodian riel (KHR) general currency information
Cambodia currency and money saving tips
Cambodia is a very cheap country to travel in. Visas are available on arrival (also known as the VOA), cost US$30 and take about 20-30 minutes to process. One can also apply for the visa online. Note that at some border crossings they do not accept the e-visa, be sure to check which crossings accept them on the site prior to purchasing the e-visa.If you're out in the crowded streets of Phnom Penh, trying to enjoy the sights of this captivating city, but you're constantly approached by locals trying to sell you stuff you don't want. Although selling over-priced merchandise or pestering relatively wealthy tourists isn't a crime, some find it really annoying.
Tuk Tuks are the cheapest way to get around in a city, set your price before jumping in and pay on arrival. Local city transportation is cheap, costing only a few dollars. You can get a bus anywhere in the country at a good price. While in Siem Reap or Phnom Penh you can gain a lot by hiring one tuk tuk driver during your whole stay.This is one way to build a rapport, to get good continuous service and to remove some of the hassle factor in having to flag down a tuk tuk. Booking internal travel from Siem Reap to other centres such as Battambang or Phnom Penh is generally easy with most every hotel and guest house having good local knowledge. Ask your hotel/guest house manager and they will be sure to help.
Cambodia Trip Checklist
Travel money for Cambodia
Save money and time by Ordering your Cambodian riel online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the KHR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Cambodian riel otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Cambodia
When sending money to Cambodia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Cambodian riel amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted KHR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Cambodia.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Cambodian riel deposited into the recipient bank account in Cambodia and less margins and fees kept by the banks!