In this guide we review :
- Travelling in Albania - Practical tips
- Buying Albanian Lek Cash Online - Travel money for Albania
- Sending Money to Albania - Save on Albanian Lek bank transfers
- Albanian Lek Exchange Rates - Latest info & charts.
Albania Travel Practical Tips
It is impossible to buy or use Leks anywhere else -- you cannot even exchange Leks outside of Albania, as it is a restricted currency. They do accept Euro in some places in Tirana, and also Pounds and American Dollars. There are plenty of banks; at least in Tirana and in Durres there are also ATMs where you can get cash using a Cirrus or Maestro bank card. Visa and Mastercard credit cards are accepted in some places. There are also money exchange shops and Western Union outlets for you to change your money; as a last resort, there are lots of men walking around the city center waving big wads of money about - you can go to them and haggle for a better exchange rate for your money.
Travel Money for Albania - Buying Albanian Lek (ALL)
Save money and time by Ordering your Albanian Lek Online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the ALL cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Albanian Lek otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Albania Trip Checklist
- Compare ALL Travel Cash Rates - probably why you are here!
- Hotel Deals - Save on your accomodation in Albania
- Travel Insurance - for those unexpected travel adventures...
- Lonely Planet - Travel Guide 3 for 2 offer
Sending Money to Albania
When sending money to Albania it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Albanian Lek amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted ALL amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Albania.
You can save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Albanian Lek deposited into the recipient bank account in Albania and less margins and fees kept by the banks!Compare Transfer Exchange Rates to Albania