In this guide we review :
- Travelling in Bulgaria - Practical tips
- Buying Bulgarian Lev Cash Online - Travel money for Bulgaria
- Sending Money to Bulgaria - Save on Bulgarian Lev bank transfers
- Bulgarian Lev Exchange Rates - Latest info & charts.
Bulgaria Travel Practical Tips
The currency is the Lev (lv) and is mostly what is used in Bulgaria so bring a card you can withdraw with on arrival.
Public transport in Bulgaria is inexpensive but often slow and not always clean or comfortable. Travelling by bus (avtobus) is usually the quickest way of getting between major towns and cities. Generally, you can buy tickets (bileti) at the bus station (avtogara) at least an hour in advance when travelling between towns, but on some routes they’re only sold when the bus arrives. On rural routes, tickets are often sold by the driver. Taxi's must be painted yellow and display their rates on the window. Otherwise it is not uncommon for drivers to claim the meter is not working and overcharge. Dishonest drivers congregate outside airports, train and bus stations and big city centres.
Travel Money for Bulgaria - Buying Bulgarian Lev (BGN)
Save money and time by Ordering your Bulgarian Lev Online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BGN cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Bulgarian Lev otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Bulgaria Trip Checklist
- Compare BGN Travel Cash Rates - probably why you are here!
- Hotel Deals - Save on your accomodation in Bulgaria
- Travel Insurance - for those unexpected travel adventures...
- Lonely Planet - Travel Guide 3 for 2 offer
Sending Money to Bulgaria
When sending money to Bulgaria it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Bulgarian Lev amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BGN amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Bulgaria.
You can save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Bulgarian Lev deposited into the recipient bank account in Bulgaria and less margins and fees kept by the banks!Compare Transfer Exchange Rates to Bulgaria