Foreign Exchange Guide to Ethiopia
In this guide we review :
- Buying Ethiopian Birr Cash Online - Travel money for Ethiopia
- Sending Money to Ethiopia - Save on Ethiopian Birr bank transfers
- Ethiopian Birr Exchange Rates - Latest info & charts.
Travel Money for Ethiopia - Ethiopian Birr (ETB)
Save money and time by Ordering your Ethiopian Birr Online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the ETB cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Ethiopian Birr otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending Money to Ethiopia
When sending money to Ethiopia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Ethiopian Birr amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted ETB amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Ethiopia.
You can save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Ethiopian Birr deposited into the recipient bank account in Ethiopia and less margins and fees kept by the banks!Compare Transfer Exchange Rates to Ethiopia