Foreign Exchange Guide to Cuba
In this guide we review :
- Cuban peso info - general info about the Cuban peso
- Buying Cuban peso cash online - travel money for Cuba
- Sending money to Cuba - save on Cuban peso bank transfers to Cuba
- Cuban peso exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Cuban peso (CUP) general currency information
Cuba Trip Checklist
Travel money for Cuba
Save money and time by Ordering your Cuban peso online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the CUP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Cuban peso otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Cuba
When sending money to Cuba it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Cuban peso amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted CUP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Cuba.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Cuban peso deposited into the recipient bank account in Cuba and less margins and fees kept by the banks!