Foreign Exchange Guide to Ethiopia
In this guide we review :
- Ethiopian birr info - general info about the Ethiopian birr
- Ethiopian birr in the markets - recent ETB moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Ethiopian birr cash online - travel money for Ethiopia
- Sending money to Ethiopia - save on Ethiopian birr bank transfers to Ethiopia
- Ethiopian birr exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Ethiopian birr (ETB) general currency information
Ethiopian birr (ETB) in the markets
The chart below shows the ETB to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Ethiopia Trip Checklist
Travel money for Ethiopia
Save money and time by Ordering your Ethiopian birr online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the ETB cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Ethiopian birr otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Ethiopia
Sending money to Ethiopia
When sending money to Ethiopia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Ethiopian birr amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted ETB amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Ethiopia.
Bank Transfers to Ethiopia
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Ethiopian birr deposited into the recipient bank account in Ethiopia and less margins and fees kept by the banks!