Foreign Exchange Guide to Guatemala
In this guide we review :
- Guatemalan quetzal info - general info about the Guatemalan quetzal
- Guatemalan quetzal in the markets - recent GTQ moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Guatemalan quetzal cash online - travel money for Guatemala
- Sending money to Guatemala - save on Guatemalan quetzal bank transfers to Guatemala
- Guatemalan quetzal exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Guatemalan quetzal (GTQ) general currency information
Guatemalan quetzal (GTQ) in the markets
The chart below shows the GTQ to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Guatemala Trip Checklist
Travel money for Guatemala
Save money and time by Ordering your Guatemalan quetzal online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the GTQ cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Guatemalan quetzal otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Guatemala
Sending money to Guatemala
When sending money to Guatemala it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Guatemalan quetzal amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted GTQ amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Guatemala.
Bank Transfers to Guatemala
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Guatemalan quetzal deposited into the recipient bank account in Guatemala and less margins and fees kept by the banks!