Foreign Exchange Guide to Honduras
In this guide we review :
- Honduran lempira info - general info about the Honduran lempira
- Buying Honduran lempira cash online - travel money for Honduras
- Sending money to Honduras - save on Honduran lempira bank transfers to Honduras
- Honduran lempira exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Honduran lempira (HNL) general currency information
Honduras Trip Checklist
Travel money for Honduras
Save money and time by Ordering your Honduran lempira online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the HNL cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Honduran lempira otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Honduras
When sending money to Honduras it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Honduran lempira amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted HNL amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Honduras.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Honduran lempira deposited into the recipient bank account in Honduras and less margins and fees kept by the banks!