Foreign Exchange Guide to Kyrgyzstan
In this guide we review :
- Kyrgystani som info - general info about the Kyrgystani som
- Kyrgystani som in the markets - recent KGS moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Kyrgystani som cash online - travel money for Kyrgyzstan
- Sending money to Kyrgyzstan - save on Kyrgystani som bank transfers to Kyrgyzstan
- Kyrgystani som exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Kyrgystani som (KGS) general currency information
Kyrgystani som (KGS) in the markets
The chart below shows the KGS to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Kyrgyzstan Trip Checklist
Travel money for Kyrgyzstan
Save money and time by Ordering your Kyrgystani som online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the KGS cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Kyrgystani som otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Kyrgyzstan
Sending money to Kyrgyzstan
When sending money to Kyrgyzstan it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Kyrgystani som amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted KGS amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Kyrgyzstan.
Bank Transfers to Kyrgyzstan
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Kyrgystani som deposited into the recipient bank account in Kyrgyzstan and less margins and fees kept by the banks!