Foreign Exchange Guide to Liberia
In this guide we review :
- Liberian dollar info - general info about the Liberian dollar
- Buying Liberian dollar cash online - travel money for Liberia
- Sending money to Liberia - save on Liberian dollar bank transfers to Liberia
- Liberian dollar exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Liberian dollar (LRD) general currency information
Liberia Trip Checklist
Travel money for Liberia
Save money and time by Ordering your Liberian dollar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the LRD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Liberian dollar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Liberia
When sending money to Liberia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Liberian dollar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted LRD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Liberia.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Liberian dollar deposited into the recipient bank account in Liberia and less margins and fees kept by the banks!