Foreign Exchange Guide to Libya
In this guide we review :
- Libyan dinar info - general info about the Libyan dinar
- Libyan dinar in the markets - recent LYD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Libyan dinar cash online - travel money for Libya
- Sending money to Libya - save on Libyan dinar bank transfers to Libya
- Libyan dinar exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Libyan dinar (LYD) general currency information
Libyan dinar (LYD) in the markets
The chart below shows the LYD to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Libya Trip Checklist
Travel money for Libya
Save money and time by Ordering your Libyan dinar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the LYD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Libyan dinar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Libya
Sending money to Libya
When sending money to Libya it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Libyan dinar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted LYD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Libya.
Bank Transfers to Libya
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Libyan dinar deposited into the recipient bank account in Libya and less margins and fees kept by the banks!