Foreign Exchange Guide to Maldives
In this guide we review :
- Maldivian rufiyaa info - general info about the Maldivian rufiyaa
- Buying Maldivian rufiyaa cash online - travel money for Maldives
- Sending money to Maldives - save on Maldivian rufiyaa bank transfers to Maldives
- Maldivian rufiyaa exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Maldivian rufiyaa (MVR) general currency information
Maldives Trip Checklist
Travel money for Maldives
Save money and time by Ordering your Maldivian rufiyaa online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MVR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Maldivian rufiyaa otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Maldives
When sending money to Maldives it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Maldivian rufiyaa amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MVR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Maldives.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Maldivian rufiyaa deposited into the recipient bank account in Maldives and less margins and fees kept by the banks!