Foreign Exchange Guide to Moldova
In this guide we review :
- Moldovan leu info - general info about the Moldovan leu
- Moldovan leu in the markets - recent MDL moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Moldovan leu cash online - travel money for Moldova
- Sending money to Moldova - save on Moldovan leu bank transfers to Moldova
- Moldovan leu exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Moldovan leu (MDL) general currency information
Moldovan leu (MDL) in the markets
The chart below shows the MDL to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Moldova Trip Checklist
Travel money for Moldova
Save money and time by Ordering your Moldovan leu online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MDL cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Moldovan leu otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Moldova
Sending money to Moldova
When sending money to Moldova it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Moldovan leu amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MDL amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Moldova.
Bank Transfers to Moldova
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Moldovan leu deposited into the recipient bank account in Moldova and less margins and fees kept by the banks!