Foreign Exchange Guide to Mozambique
In this guide we review :
- Mozambican metical info - general info about the Mozambican metical
- Buying Mozambican metical cash online - travel money for Mozambique
- Sending money to Mozambique - save on Mozambican metical bank transfers to Mozambique
- Mozambican metical exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Mozambican metical (MZN) general currency information
Mozambique Trip Checklist
Travel money for Mozambique
Save money and time by Ordering your Mozambican metical online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the MZN cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Mozambican metical otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Mozambique
When sending money to Mozambique it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Mozambican metical amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted MZN amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Mozambique.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Mozambican metical deposited into the recipient bank account in Mozambique and less margins and fees kept by the banks!