Foreign Exchange Guide to Namibia
In this guide we review :
- Namibian dollar info - general info about the Namibian dollar
- Buying Namibian dollar cash online - travel money for Namibia
- Sending money to Namibia - save on Namibian dollar bank transfers to Namibia
- Namibian dollar exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Namibian dollar (NAD) general currency information
Namibia Trip Checklist
Travel money for Namibia
Save money and time by Ordering your Namibian dollar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the NAD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Namibian dollar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Namibia
When sending money to Namibia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Namibian dollar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted NAD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Namibia.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Namibian dollar deposited into the recipient bank account in Namibia and less margins and fees kept by the banks!