Foreign Exchange Guide to Nepal
In this guide we review :
- Nepalese rupee info - general info about the Nepalese rupee
- Nepalese rupee in the markets - recent NPR moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Nepal - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Nepalese rupee cash online - travel money for Nepal
- Sending money to Nepal - save on Nepalese rupee bank transfers to Nepal
- Nepalese rupee exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Nepalese rupee (NPR) general currency information
Nepalese rupee (NPR) in the markets
The chart below shows the NPR to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Currency and money saving tips for Nepal
Nepal might be my favourite place, lovely people, stunning ancient cities, and of course the Himalayas. Do not trek alone, there are frequent changes to the paths due to avalanches and some can be risky. If you hear mule bells on a high path hug the wall. The mules coming will push everything out of their way and you want to be on the good side of that. Avoid water that is not bottled or boiled. Avoid raw vegetables and pre-cut fruit as much as possible.
Do not give money to beggars that you see on the streets. Even though they look pitiful, your giving away of money that will probably go to someone else. Be sure to exchange back all the Nepalese currencies before you leave. They are not accepted (or even exchanged for that matter) outside of Nepal.
Do not fully rely on schedules and times that are committed to you whether in verbal or written while you are in Nepal . They may not commence in time as stated or committed and may end up disrupting all your subsequent schedule. Have time buffer as much as you can between your major plans and activities, especially if you have a hard stop date that you need to fly out by. You can get a visa for Nepal on arrival at the airport, if you are planning to apply for the Visa at the airport, make sure to have passport size photo available. Plan B is to have your photo taken at the booth at the airport.
Nepal Trip Checklist
Travel money for Nepal
Save money and time by Ordering your Nepalese rupee online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the NPR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Nepalese rupee otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Nepal
Sending money to Nepal
When sending money to Nepal it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Nepalese rupee amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted NPR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Nepal.
Bank Transfers to Nepal
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Nepalese rupee deposited into the recipient bank account in Nepal and less margins and fees kept by the banks!