Foreign Exchange Guide to Oman
In this guide we review :
- Omani rial info - general info about the Omani rial
- Buying Omani rial cash online - travel money for Oman
- Sending money to Oman - save on Omani rial bank transfers to Oman
- Omani rial exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Omani rial (OMR) general currency information
Oman Trip Checklist
Travel money for Oman
Save money and time by Ordering your Omani rial online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the OMR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Omani rial otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Oman
When sending money to Oman it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Omani rial amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted OMR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Oman.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Omani rial deposited into the recipient bank account in Oman and less margins and fees kept by the banks!