Foreign Exchange Guide to Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinean kina
In this guide we review :
- Papua New Guinean kina info - general info about the Papua New Guinean kina
- Papua New Guinean kina in the markets - recent PGK moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Papua New Guinea - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Papua New Guinean kina cash online - travel money for Papua New Guinea
- Sending money to Papua New Guinea - save on Papua New Guinean kina bank transfers to Papua New Guinea
- Papua New Guinean kina exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Papua New Guinean kina (PGK) general currency information
Papua New Guinean kina (PGK) in the markets
The chart below shows the PGK to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Currency and money saving tips for Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea's currency is the PNG Kina which is divided into 100 toea. K100, K50, K20, K10, K5 and K2 notes and a K1 coin are in circulation. Port Moresby hotels, restaurants, shops, rental car companies, Papua New Guinea tours and cruise operators and travel agents accept most major credit cards including Amex, Diners, Master Cards and Visa Cards. Australian dollars are widely accepted but you may be charged extra as the is a fee at the banks to convert Aussie dollars to PNG Kina.
The airport branch of Bank South Pacific is located in the international terminal at Port Moresby airport just near the exit from the Customs Arrival Hall. It's open for all flights and offers normal bank rates. Hands down it is the best place to buy PNG kina. The buying rate here in PNG is always going to be better than the selling rate there in Australia. More than 800 distinct languages are spoken in Papua New Guinea. Melanesian Pidgin and Hiri Motu are the two most widely used, although English is the official language in education, businesses and government circles.
Vast tracts of the country are wild and undeveloped, with magnificent scenery that ranges from pristine coral atolls to volcanic mountains, dense tropical rainforest and large rivers. The mainland is divided by the Owen Stanley Range, a massive central spike with peaks towering over 4,000m.
Papua New Guinea Trip Checklist
Travel money for Papua New Guinea
Save money and time by Ordering your Papua New Guinean kina online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the PGK cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Papua New Guinean kina otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Papua New Guinea
Sending money to Papua New Guinea
When sending money to Papua New Guinea it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Papua New Guinean kina amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted PGK amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Papua New Guinea.
Bank Transfers to Papua New Guinea
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Papua New Guinean kina deposited into the recipient bank account in Papua New Guinea and less margins and fees kept by the banks!