Foreign Exchange Guide to Romania
In this guide we review :
- Romanian Leu info - general info about the Romanian Leu
- Buying Romanian Leu cash online - travel money for Romania
- Sending money to Romania - save on Romanian Leu bank transfers to Romania
- Romanian Leu exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Romanian Leu (RON) general currency information
Romania Trip Checklist
Travel money for Romania
Save money and time by Ordering your Romanian Leu online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the RON cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Romanian Leu otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Romania
When sending money to Romania it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Romanian Leu amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted RON amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Romania.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Romanian Leu deposited into the recipient bank account in Romania and less margins and fees kept by the banks!