Foreign Exchange Guide to Rwanda
In this guide we review :
- Rwandan franc info - general info about the Rwandan franc
- Rwandan franc in the markets - recent RWF moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Rwandan franc cash online - travel money for Rwanda
- Sending money to Rwanda - save on Rwandan franc bank transfers to Rwanda
- Rwandan franc exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Rwandan franc (RWF) general currency information
Rwandan franc (RWF) in the markets
The chart below shows the RWF to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Rwanda Trip Checklist
Travel money for Rwanda
Save money and time by Ordering your Rwandan franc online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the RWF cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Rwandan franc otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Rwanda
Sending money to Rwanda
When sending money to Rwanda it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Rwandan franc amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted RWF amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Rwanda.
Bank Transfers to Rwanda
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Rwandan franc deposited into the recipient bank account in Rwanda and less margins and fees kept by the banks!