Foreign Exchange Guide to Serbia
In this guide we review :
- Serbian dinar info - general info about the Serbian dinar
- Travelling in Serbia - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Serbian dinar cash online - travel money for Serbia
- Sending money to Serbia - save on Serbian dinar bank transfers to Serbia
- Serbian dinar exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Serbian dinar (RSD) general currency information
Serbia currency and money saving tips
The official currency in Serbia is the Serbian Dinar. Exchange rate for Euro, USA Dollar and British Pound in Jun 2017 is: ( 1 Euro = 122 Serbian Dinar // 1 USA $ = 109 Serbian Dinar // 1 GBP = 140 Serbian Dinar ) You can also google and look for exchange rate at National Bank of Serbia.. When paying in cash, all prices are rounded to whole dinars. If paying with a credit/debit card, the exact amount will be charged (no rounding). Dinar is the only legal tender in Serbia. Exchange offices are ubiquitous in major cities, and they routinely accept euros, U.S. dollars and pounds sterling.
Serbia Trip Checklist
Travel money for Serbia
Save money and time by Ordering your Serbian dinar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the RSD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Serbian dinar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Serbia
When sending money to Serbia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Serbian dinar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted RSD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Serbia.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Serbian dinar deposited into the recipient bank account in Serbia and less margins and fees kept by the banks!