Foreign Exchange Guide to Tanzania
In this guide we review :
- Tanzanian shilling info - general info about the Tanzanian shilling
- Tanzanian shilling in the markets - recent TZS moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Tanzanian shilling cash online - travel money for Tanzania
- Sending money to Tanzania - save on Tanzanian shilling bank transfers to Tanzania
- Tanzanian shilling exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Tanzanian shilling (TZS) general currency information
Tanzanian shilling (TZS) in the markets
The chart below shows the TZS to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Tanzania Trip Checklist
Travel money for Tanzania
Save money and time by Ordering your Tanzanian shilling online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the TZS cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Tanzanian shilling otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Tanzania
Sending money to Tanzania
When sending money to Tanzania it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Tanzanian shilling amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted TZS amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Tanzania.
Bank Transfers to Tanzania
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Tanzanian shilling deposited into the recipient bank account in Tanzania and less margins and fees kept by the banks!