Foreign Exchange Guide to Uganda
In this guide we review :
- Ugandan shilling info - general info about the Ugandan shilling
- Buying Ugandan shilling cash online - travel money for Uganda
- Sending money to Uganda - save on Ugandan shilling bank transfers to Uganda
- Ugandan shilling exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Ugandan shilling (UGX) general currency information
Uganda Trip Checklist
Travel money for Uganda
Save money and time by Ordering your Ugandan shilling online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the UGX cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Ugandan shilling otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Sending money to Uganda
When sending money to Uganda it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Ugandan shilling amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted UGX amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Uganda.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Ugandan shilling deposited into the recipient bank account in Uganda and less margins and fees kept by the banks!