Foreign Exchange Guide to Uruguay
In this guide we review :
- Uruguayan peso info - general info about the Uruguayan peso
- Uruguayan peso in the markets - recent UYU moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Uruguayan peso cash online - travel money for Uruguay
- Sending money to Uruguay - save on Uruguayan peso bank transfers to Uruguay
- Uruguayan peso exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Uruguayan peso (UYU) general currency information
Uruguayan peso (UYU) in the markets
The chart below shows the UYU to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Uruguay Trip Checklist
Travel money for Uruguay
Save money and time by Ordering your Uruguayan peso online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the UYU cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Uruguayan peso otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Uruguay
Sending money to Uruguay
When sending money to Uruguay it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Uruguayan peso amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted UYU amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Uruguay.
Bank Transfers to Uruguay
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Uruguayan peso deposited into the recipient bank account in Uruguay and less margins and fees kept by the banks!