Foreign Exchange Guide to Albania
The domestic currency in Albania is the Albanian lek with currency code ALL. Read this foreign exchange guide to Albania and the Albanian lek with money transfer and travel tips plus Albanian lek exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Albanian lek info - general info about the Albanian lek
- Albanian lek in the markets - recent ALL moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Albania - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Albanian lek cash online - travel money for Albania
- Sending money to Albania - save on Albanian lek bank transfers to Albania
- Albanian lek exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Albanian lek (ALL) general currency information
What is the Albanian lek currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Albanian lek is ALL.
Which countries use the Albanian lek?
It is the domestic currency in Albania.
Albanian lek (ALL) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the ALL to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Albania
It is impossible to buy or use Leks anywhere else -- you cannot even exchange Leks outside of Albania, as it is a restricted currency. They do accept Euro in some places in Tirana, and also Pounds and American Dollars. There are plenty of banks; at least in Tirana and in Durres there are also ATMs where you can get cash using a Cirrus or Maestro bank card. Visa and Mastercard credit cards are accepted in some places. There are also money exchange shops and Western Union outlets for you to change your money; as a last resort, there are lots of men walking around the city center waving big wads of money about - you can go to them and haggle for a better exchange rate for your money.
Albania Trip Checklist
- Compare ALL travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Albania
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Albania
Save money and time by Ordering your Albanian lek online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the ALL cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Albanian lek otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Albania
Sending money to Albania
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Albania you need to start with finding out the latest Albanian lek foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Albania
When sending money to Albania it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Albanian lek amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted ALL amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Albania.
Use our Send to ALL calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Albanian lek deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!