Foreign Exchange Guide to Belarus
The domestic currency in Belarus is the Belarusian ruble with currency code BYR. Read this foreign exchange guide to Belarus and the Belarusian ruble with money transfer and travel tips plus Belarusian ruble exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Belarusian ruble info - general info about the Belarusian ruble
- Belarusian ruble in the markets - recent BYR moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Belarus - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Belarusian ruble cash online - travel money for Belarus
- Sending money to Belarus - save on Belarusian ruble bank transfers to Belarus
- Belarusian ruble exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Belarusian ruble (BYR) general currency information
What is the Belarusian ruble currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Belarusian ruble is BYR and the symbol is p..
Which countries use the Belarusian ruble?
It is the domestic currency in Belarus.
Belarusian ruble (BYR) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the BYR to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Belarus
The Belarusian Ruble (BYN) is the local currency in Belarus. Sterling isn't widely accepted for exchange into BYN so its wise to carry US dollars or Euro. its not possible to change BYN to any other currency outside of Belarus so do so before you leave the country. The airport is always a convenient place to do this. ATMs are widespread and credit cards can also be USD to withdraw cash, usually BYN, occasionally US dollars will also be available. NB: In 2016, the New Belarusian Ruble (BYN) replaced the old Belarusian Ruble (BYR) at a ratio of 1:10,000.
Belarus Trip Checklist
- Compare BYR travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Belarus
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Belarus
Save money and time by Ordering your Belarusian ruble online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BYR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Belarusian ruble otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Belarus
Sending money to Belarus
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Belarus you need to start with finding out the latest Belarusian ruble foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Belarus
When sending money to Belarus it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Belarusian ruble amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BYR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Belarus.
Use our Send to BYR calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Belarusian ruble deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!