Foreign Exchange Guide to Belarus
In this guide we review :
- Belarusian ruble info - general info about the Belarusian ruble
- Belarusian ruble in the markets - recent BYR moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Belarus - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Belarusian ruble cash online - travel money for Belarus
- Sending money to Belarus - save on Belarusian ruble bank transfers to Belarus
- Belarusian ruble exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Belarusian ruble (BYR) general currency information
What is the Belarusian ruble currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Belarusian ruble is BYR and the symbol is p..
Which countries use the Belarusian ruble?
It is the domestic currency in Belarus.
Belarusian ruble (BYR) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the BYR to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Currency and money saving tips for Belarus
The Belarusian Ruble (BYN) is the local currency in Belarus. Sterling isn't widely accepted for exchange into BYN so it's wise to carry US dollars or Euro. It's not possible to change BYN to any other currency outside of Belarus so do so before you leave the country. The airport is always a convenient place to do this. ATMs are widespread and credit cards can also be usd to withdraw cash, usually BYN, occasionally US dollars will also be available. NB: In 2016, the New Belarusian Ruble (BYN) replaced the old Belarusian Ruble (BYR) at a ratio of 1:10,000.
Belarus Trip Checklist
- Compare BYR travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Belarus
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Belarus
Save money and time by Ordering your Belarusian ruble online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BYR cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Belarusian ruble otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Belarus
Sending money to Belarus
When sending money to Belarus it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Belarusian ruble amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BYR amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Belarus.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Belarusian ruble deposited into the recipient bank account in Belarus and less margins and fees kept by the banks!