Foreign Exchange Guide to Belize
The domestic currency in Belize is the Belize dollar with currency code BZD. Read this foreign exchange guide to Belize and the Belize dollar with money transfer and travel tips plus Belize dollar exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Belize dollar info - general info about the Belize dollar
- Belize dollar in the markets - recent BZD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Belize - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Belize dollar cash online - travel money for Belize
- Sending money to Belize - save on Belize dollar bank transfers to Belize
- Belize dollar exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Belize dollar (BZD) general currency information
What is the Belize dollar currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Belize dollar is BZD and the symbol is BZ$.
Which countries use the Belize dollar?
It is the domestic currency in Belize.
Belize dollar (BZD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the BZD to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Belize
The Belize Dollar (BZD) has been pegged to the US dollar for several decades now. The official rate is 2BZD = 1USD. US dollars are widely accepted throughout the country but don't take large bills as it could be hard to get change back in USD. If you do have BZD and are travelling to bordering countries, its worth noting that BZD is often accepted in the towns immediately across the borders at Melchor de Mencos in Guatemala and Chetumal in Mexico. Be sure to exchange any excess BZDs prior to leaving the country as it will be difficult to change otherwise.
Belize Trip Checklist
- Compare BZD travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Belize
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Belize
Save money and time by Ordering your Belize dollar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BZD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Belize dollar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Belize
Sending money to Belize
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Belize you need to start with finding out the latest Belize dollar foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Are there property purchase restrictions for foreigners in Belize?There are no restrictions on foreigners buying property in Belize
What are Belize property taxes?Property taxes are rarely more than $100 to $200 a year.
What are Belize retirement benefits?Belize offers a liberal retirement programme with a variety of benefits, including tax breaks and special residency status.
How is the infrastructure in Belize?The Central American country is seeing increased tourism and therefore development but infrastructure has yet to catch up. Cars are still rare on the island thanks to the barely-paved roads. Most people get around in golf carts.
Getting a better deal when sending money to Belize
When sending money to Belize it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Belize dollar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BZD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Belize.
Use our Send to BZD calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Belize dollar deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!