Foreign Exchange Guide to Botswana
The domestic currency in Botswana is the Botswanan pula with currency code BWP. Read this foreign exchange guide to Botswana and the Botswanan pula with money transfer and travel tips plus Botswanan pula exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Botswanan pula info - general info about the Botswanan pula
- Botswanan pula in the markets - recent BWP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Botswana - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Botswanan pula cash online - travel money for Botswana
- Sending money to Botswana - save on Botswanan pula bank transfers to Botswana
- Botswanan pula exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Botswanan pula (BWP) general currency information
What is the Botswanan pula currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Botswanan pula is BWP and the symbol is P.
Which countries use the Botswanan pula?
It is the domestic currency in Botswana.
Botswanan pula (BWP) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the BWP to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Botswana Trip Checklist
- Compare BWP travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Botswana
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Botswana
Save money and time by Ordering your Botswanan pula online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BWP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Botswanan pula otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Botswana
Sending money to Botswana
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Botswana you need to start with finding out the latest Botswanan pula foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Botswana
When sending money to Botswana it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Botswanan pula amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BWP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Botswana.
Use our Send to BWP calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Botswanan pula deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!