This is a foreign exchange guide to Bulgaria, the Bulgarian Lev currency plus sending BGN transfers and travel tips.
In this Bulgaria currency guide we take a look at :
- Bulgarian Lev info - general info about the Bulgarian Lev
- Bulgarian Lev in the markets - recent BGN moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Bulgaria - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Bulgarian Lev cash online - travel money for Bulgaria
- Sending money to Bulgaria - save on Bulgarian Lev bank transfers to Bulgaria
- Bulgarian Lev exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Bulgarian Lev (BGN) general currency information
What is the Bulgarian Lev currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Bulgarian Lev is BGN.
Which countries use the Bulgarian Lev?
It is the domestic currency in Bulgaria.
Bulgarian Lev (BGN) in the markets
RBA interest rate cuts this year are now a certainty, and that doesn’t bode well for currency valuations. Westpac has predicted three cuts this year.
The interactive chart below shows the HKD to BGN exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Bulgaria
The currency is the Lev (lv) and is mostly what is used in Bulgaria so bring a card you can withdraw with on arrival.
Public transport in Bulgaria is inexpensive but often slow and not always clean or comfortable. Travelling by bus (avtobus) is usually the quickest way of getting between major towns and cities. Generally, you can buy tickets (bileti) at the bus station (avtogara) at least an hour in advance when travelling between towns, but on some routes they're only sold when the bus arrives. On rural routes, tickets are often sold by the driver. Taxis must be painted yellow and display their rates on the window. Otherwise it is not uncommon for drivers to claim the meter is not working and overcharge. Dishonest drivers congregate outside airports, train and bus stations and big city centres.
Travel money for Bulgaria
Save money and time by Ordering your Bulgarian Lev online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BGN cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Bulgarian Lev otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Bulgaria Trip Checklist
Sending money to Bulgaria
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Bulgaria you need to start with finding out the latest Bulgarian Lev foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Bulgaria
When sending money to Bulgaria it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Bulgarian Lev amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BGN amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Bulgaria.
Use our Send to BGN calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Bulgarian Lev deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!