Foreign Exchange Guide to Burkina Faso
In this guide we review :
- West African franc info - general info about the West African franc
- West African franc in the markets - recent XOF moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying West African franc cash online - travel money for Burkina Faso
- Sending money to Burkina Faso - save on West African franc bank transfers to Burkina Faso
- West African franc exchange rates - latest info & charts.
West African franc (XOF) general currency information
West African franc (XOF) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the XOF to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Burkina Faso Trip Checklist
Travel money for Burkina Faso
Save money and time by Ordering your West African franc online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the XOF cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in West African franc otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Burkina Faso
Sending money to Burkina Faso
When sending money to Burkina Faso it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or West African franc amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted XOF amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Burkina Faso.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more West African franc deposited into the recipient bank account in Burkina Faso and less margins and fees kept by the banks!