This is a foreign exchange guide to Burkina Faso, the West African Franc currency plus sending XOF transfers and travel tips.
In this Burkina Faso currency guide we take a look at :
- West African Franc info - general info about the West African Franc
- West African Franc in the markets - recent XOF moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Burkina Faso - currency & money saving tips
- Buying West African Franc cash online - travel money for Burkina Faso
- Sending money to Burkina Faso - save on West African Franc bank transfers to Burkina Faso
- West African Franc exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
West African Franc (XOF) general currency information
What is the West African Franc currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the West African Franc is XOF.
Which countries use the West African Franc?
West African Franc (XOF) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the HKD to XOF exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Burkina Faso
Whether it's the mud architecture of the Tiebele royal court or the grand mosque, the reserve de Nazinga wildlife park, or the stepped waterfalls, there are many worthwhile reasons to visit landlocked Burkina Faso. The currency is Communaute Financiere Africaine Francs (XOF). If you are bringing foreign currency for exchange, euros will be the safest bet . ATMs are widespread in cities and credit cards are not generally accepted. Unfortunately, at the time of writing April 2018, many countries are advising against non-essential travel to Burkina due to the high risk of terrorist attacks. The Zika virus is also considered a risk at present.
Travel money for Burkina Faso
Save money and time by Ordering your West African Franc online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the XOF cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in West African Franc otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Burkina Faso Trip Checklist
Sending money to Burkina Faso
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Burkina Faso you need to start with finding out the latest West African Franc foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Burkina Faso
When sending money to Burkina Faso it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or West African Franc amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted XOF amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Burkina Faso.
Use our Send to XOF calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more West African Franc deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!