This is a foreign exchange guide to Burundi, the Burundian Franc currency plus sending BIF transfers and travel tips.
In this Burundi currency guide we take a look at :
- Burundian Franc info - general info about the Burundian Franc
- Burundian Franc in the markets - recent BIF moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Burundi - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Burundian Franc cash online - travel money for Burundi
- Sending money to Burundi - save on Burundian Franc bank transfers to Burundi
- Burundian Franc exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Burundian Franc (BIF) general currency information
What is the Burundian Franc currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Burundian Franc is BIF.
Which countries use the Burundian Franc?
It is the domestic currency in Burundi.
Burundian Franc (BIF) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the USD to BIF exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Burundi
Travel money for Burundi
Save money and time by Ordering your Burundian Franc online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the BIF cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Burundian Franc otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Burundi Trip Checklist
Sending money to Burundi
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Burundi you need to start with finding out the latest Burundian Franc foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Burundi
When sending money to Burundi it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Burundian Franc amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted BIF amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Burundi.
Use our Send to BIF calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Burundian Franc deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!