Foreign Exchange Guide to Chile
In this guide we review :
- Chilean peso info - general info about the Chilean peso
- Chilean peso in the markets - recent CLP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Chile - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Chilean peso cash online - travel money for Chile
- Sending money to Chile - save on Chilean peso bank transfers to Chile
- Chilean peso exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Chilean peso (CLP) general currency information
What is the Chilean peso currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Chilean peso is CLP and the symbol is $.
Which countries use the Chilean peso?
It is the domestic currency in Chile.
Chilean peso (CLP) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the CLP to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Currency and money saving tips for Chile
Chile is a very fun country to get around in, most the forms of transport are comfortable, reliable, and not expensive. Which is handy since Chile is a very large country. The currency of Chile is the Chilean Peso (CLP or CL$). You can exchange currency at the airport or many large hotels have currency exchange outlets. However neither of these will give particularly good transfer rates. ATM's will generally give the best rates but only if you choose to be charged in the local currency. ATM's are easy to find, even in the country areas, however they do tend to run out of cash later on in the day. Some accept certain cards whiles accept different cards so be sure to check the signs.
The most common form of transport, especially for the locals is to go by bus. The bus system covers most places and is very cheap so is a great way to get around. It is quite comfortable as well, usually with plenty of space with reclining seats and flexible timetables. They all have toilets and some even include meals. Also, as there is so much competition, the bus fares are quite cheap so it makes for a wonderful way to get around. Chile is a vast country so if you have the time taking the bus makes for a comfortable and charming way to take in the views. Due to lack of use the train system has become slower and more unreliable.
If you need to cover larger distances in a hurry the flights in Chile are quite convenient as since the country is so large and you may want to take in both north and south in your trip with limited time. The flights can be expensive however, but there are regular deals if you check online. The main airlines are LAN and Sky Airline.
Chile Trip Checklist
- Compare CLP travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Chile
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Chile
Save money and time by Ordering your Chilean peso online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the CLP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Chilean peso otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Chile
Sending money to Chile
When sending money to Chile it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Chilean peso amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted CLP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Chile.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Chilean peso deposited into the recipient bank account in Chile and less margins and fees kept by the banks!