Foreign Exchange Guide to Cuba
The domestic currency in Cuba is the Cuban peso with currency code CUP. Read this foreign exchange guide to Cuba and the Cuban peso with money transfer and travel tips plus Cuban peso exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Cuban peso info - general info about the Cuban peso
- Cuban peso in the markets - recent CUP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Cuba - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Cuban peso cash online - travel money for Cuba
- Sending money to Cuba - save on Cuban peso bank transfers to Cuba
- Cuban peso exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Cuban peso (CUP) general currency information
What is the Cuban peso currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Cuban peso is CUP and the symbol is .
Which countries use the Cuban peso?
It is the domestic currency in Cuba.
Cuban peso (CUP) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the CUP to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Cuba Trip Checklist
- Compare CUP travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Cuba
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Cuba
Save money and time by Ordering your Cuban peso online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the CUP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Cuban peso otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Cuba
Sending money to Cuba
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Cuba you need to start with finding out the latest Cuban peso foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Cuba
When sending money to Cuba it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Cuban peso amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted CUP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Cuba.
Use our Send to CUP calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Cuban peso deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!