This is a foreign exchange guide to Dominican Republic, the Dominican Peso currency plus sending DOP transfers and travel tips.
In this Dominican Republic currency guide we take a look at :
- Dominican Peso info - general info about the Dominican Peso
- Dominican Peso in the markets - recent DOP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Dominican Republic - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Dominican Peso cash online - travel money for Dominican Republic
- Sending money to Dominican Republic - save on Dominican Peso bank transfers to Dominican Republic
- Dominican Peso exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Dominican Peso (DOP) general currency information
What is the Dominican Peso currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Dominican Peso is DOP and the symbol is RD$.
Which countries use the Dominican Peso?
It is the domestic currency in Dominican Republic.
Dominican Peso (DOP) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the USD to DOP exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Dominican Republic
Travel money for Dominican Republic
Save money and time by Ordering your Dominican Peso online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the DOP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Dominican Peso otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Dominican Republic Trip Checklist
Sending money to Dominican Republic
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Dominican Republic you need to start with finding out the latest Dominican Peso foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Dominican Republic
When sending money to Dominican Republic it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Dominican Peso amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted DOP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Dominican Republic.
Use our Send to DOP calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Dominican Peso deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!