Foreign Exchange Guide to Ethiopia
The domestic currency in Ethiopia is the Ethiopian birr with currency code ETB. Read this foreign exchange guide to Ethiopia and the Ethiopian birr with money transfer and travel tips plus Ethiopian birr exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Ethiopian birr info - general info about the Ethiopian birr
- Ethiopian birr in the markets - recent ETB moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Ethiopia - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Ethiopian birr cash online - travel money for Ethiopia
- Sending money to Ethiopia - save on Ethiopian birr bank transfers to Ethiopia
- Ethiopian birr exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Ethiopian birr (ETB) general currency information
What is the Ethiopian birr currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Ethiopian birr is ETB and the symbol is Br.
Which countries use the Ethiopian birr?
It is the domestic currency in Ethiopia.
Ethiopian birr (ETB) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the ETB to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Ethiopia Trip Checklist
- Compare ETB travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Ethiopia
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Ethiopia
Save money and time by Ordering your Ethiopian birr online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the ETB cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Ethiopian birr otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Ethiopia
Sending money to Ethiopia
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Ethiopia you need to start with finding out the latest Ethiopian birr foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Ethiopia
When sending money to Ethiopia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Ethiopian birr amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted ETB amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Ethiopia.
Use our Send to ETB calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Ethiopian birr deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!