This is a foreign exchange guide to Ethiopia, the Ethiopian Birr currency plus sending ETB transfers and travel tips.
In this Ethiopia currency guide we take a look at :
- Ethiopian Birr info - general info about the Ethiopian Birr
- Ethiopian Birr in the markets - recent ETB moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Ethiopia - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Ethiopian Birr cash online - travel money for Ethiopia
- Sending money to Ethiopia - save on Ethiopian Birr bank transfers to Ethiopia
- Ethiopian Birr exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Ethiopian Birr (ETB) general currency information
What is the Ethiopian Birr currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Ethiopian Birr is ETB and the symbol is Br.
Is the Ethiopian Birr a closed currency?
Yes the Ethiopian Birr is a closed currency. Which means that you may find it difficult to purchase the currency (ETB) before departure and will probably need to buy it upon arrival. If you do manage to buy some of the currency or have some left over from a previous trip, make sure you are aware if you are allowed to bring this closed currency into the country.
For more information and a full list of closed currencies please refer to our guide: What is a closed currency?
Which countries use the Ethiopian Birr?
It is the domestic currency in Ethiopia.
Ethiopian Birr (ETB) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the USD to ETB exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Ethiopia
Travel money for Ethiopia
As mentioned above, the Ethiopian Birr is a closed currency. Which means that you may find it difficult (or be permitted) to purchase the currency (ETB) before departure and will need to buy it upon arrival in Ethiopia.
For these types of destinations, using a pre-paid travel card is a good solution. As no travel cards support loading closed currencies like the ETB you will incur currency conversion or foreign transaction fees if you use a travel money card in Ethiopia.
However, using a pre-paid travel card is still a good idea as you can avoid ATM fees and also you can avoid using (and losing!) your main bank or debit/credit card.
Ethiopia Trip Checklist
Sending money to Ethiopia
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Ethiopia you need to start with finding out the latest Ethiopian Birr foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Ethiopia
When sending money to Ethiopia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Ethiopian Birr amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted ETB amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Ethiopia.
Use our Send to ETB calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Ethiopian Birr deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!