Foreign Exchange Guide to Fiji
In this guide we review :
- Fijian dollar info - general info about the Fijian dollar
- Fijian dollar in the markets - recent FJD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Fiji - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Fijian dollar cash online - travel money for Fiji
- Sending money to Fiji - save on Fijian dollar bank transfers to Fiji
- Fijian dollar exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Fijian dollar (FJD) general currency information
What is the Fijian dollar currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Fijian dollar is FJD and the symbol is $.
Which countries use the Fijian dollar?
It is the domestic currency in Fiji.
Fijian dollar (FJD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the FJD to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Currency and money saving tips for Fiji
ATM's are readily available, however theft can be fairly common so travelling with a Prepaid Travel Card instead of your credit card may keep your mind at ease. Tap water is not considered safe in Fiji so be sure to stock up on bottled water.
Many locals drive around minivans and small trucks which they use to transport tourists around for a fee. They generally pick up as many as possible so it's not always comfortable. You will find taxis on Viti Levu, Vanua Levu, Taveuni and Ovalau. The bus stations in the main towns usually have taxi depots and there is often an oversupply of taxis, with drivers competing for business.
Some of the islands are quite cheap and others expensive. There is something for everyone's budget and the islands have the best beaches and snorkeling. Denarau is the most commercialized part of Fiji with lots of hotels, restaurants and bars at the marina but beaches are not as pristine as elsewhere.
Fiji Trip Checklist
- Compare FJD travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Fiji
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Fiji
Save money and time by Ordering your Fijian dollar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the FJD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Fijian dollar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money Exchange Rates Compared
Buying FJD Cash with USD 1,000
Rate timestamp : Mon Apr 23 2018 18:00:03 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Sending money to Fiji
When sending money to Fiji it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Fijian dollar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted FJD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Fiji.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Fijian dollar deposited into the recipient bank account in Fiji and less margins and fees kept by the banks!
Sending a LARGER international money transfer? Request a Free Multi-Vendor Quote
Compare Foreign Transfers
Sending USD 10,000 to FJD
Rate timestamp : Mon Apr 23 2018 18:04:27 GMT+0000 (UTC)