Foreign Exchange Guide to Gabon
Central African franc
The domestic currency in Gabon is the Central African franc with currency code XAF. Read this foreign exchange guide to Gabon and the Central African franc with money transfer and travel tips plus Central African franc exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Central African franc info - general info about the Central African franc
- Central African franc in the markets - recent XAF moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Gabon - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Central African franc cash online - travel money for Gabon
- Sending money to Gabon - save on Central African franc bank transfers to Gabon
- Central African franc exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Central African franc (XAF) general currency information
What is the Central African franc currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Central African franc is XAF and the symbol is FCFA.
Which countries use the Central African franc?
Central African franc (XAF) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the XAF to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Gabon Trip Checklist
- Compare XAF travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Gabon
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Gabon
Save money and time by Ordering your Central African franc online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the XAF cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Central African franc otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Gabon
Sending money to Gabon
How to save when sending money to Gabon
When sending money to Gabon it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Central African franc amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted XAF amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Gabon.
Use our Send to XAF calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Central African franc deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!