This is a foreign exchange guide to Gambia, the Gambian Dalasi currency plus sending GMD transfers and travel tips.
In this Gambia currency guide we take a look at :
- Gambian Dalasi info - general info about the Gambian Dalasi
- Gambian Dalasi in the markets - recent GMD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Gambia - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Gambian Dalasi cash online - travel money for Gambia
- Sending money to Gambia - save on Gambian Dalasi bank transfers to Gambia
- Gambian Dalasi exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Gambian Dalasi (GMD) general currency information
What is the Gambian Dalasi currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Gambian Dalasi is GMD and the symbol is D.
Which countries use the Gambian Dalasi?
It is the domestic currency in Gambia.
Gambian Dalasi (GMD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the USD to GMD exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Gambia
Travel money for Gambia
Save money and time by Ordering your Gambian Dalasi online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the GMD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Gambian Dalasi otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Gambia Trip Checklist
Sending money to Gambia
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Gambia you need to start with finding out the latest Gambian Dalasi foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Gambia
When sending money to Gambia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Gambian Dalasi amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted GMD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Gambia.
Use our Send to GMD calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Gambian Dalasi deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!