This is a foreign exchange guide to Georgia, the Georgian Lari currency plus sending GEL transfers and travel tips.
In this Georgia currency guide we take a look at :
- Georgian Lari info - general info about the Georgian Lari
- Georgian Lari in the markets - recent GEL moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Georgia - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Georgian Lari cash online - travel money for Georgia
- Sending money to Georgia - save on Georgian Lari bank transfers to Georgia
- Georgian Lari exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Georgian Lari (GEL) general currency information
What is the Georgian Lari currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Georgian Lari is GEL and the symbol is ლ.
Which countries use the Georgian Lari?
It is the domestic currency in Georgia.
Georgian Lari (GEL) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the USD to GEL exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Georgia
Travel money for Georgia
Save money and time by Ordering your Georgian Lari online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the GEL cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Georgian Lari otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Georgia Trip Checklist
Sending money to Georgia
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Georgia you need to start with finding out the latest Georgian Lari foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Georgia
When sending money to Georgia it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Georgian Lari amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted GEL amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Georgia.
Use our Send to GEL calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Georgian Lari deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!