Foreign Exchange Guide to Gibraltar
In this guide we review :
- Gibraltar pound info - general info about the Gibraltar pound
- Gibraltar pound in the markets - recent GIP moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Buying Gibraltar pound cash online - travel money for Gibraltar
- Sending money to Gibraltar - save on Gibraltar pound bank transfers to Gibraltar
- Gibraltar pound exchange rates - latest info & charts.
Gibraltar pound (GIP) general currency information
What is the Gibraltar pound currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Gibraltar pound is GIP and the symbol is £.
Which countries use the Gibraltar pound?
It is the domestic currency in Gibraltar.
Gibraltar pound (GIP) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the GIP to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Gibraltar Trip Checklist
- Compare GIP travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Gibraltar
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Gibraltar
Save money and time by Ordering your Gibraltar pound online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the GIP cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Gibraltar pound otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Gibraltar
Sending money to Gibraltar
When sending money to Gibraltar it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 3 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Gibraltar pound amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted GIP amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Gibraltar.
By comparing the rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Gibraltar pound deposited into the recipient bank account in Gibraltar and less margins and fees kept by the banks!