Foreign Exchange Guide to Guatemala
The domestic currency in Guatemala is the Guatemalan quetzal with currency code GTQ. Read this foreign exchange guide to Guatemala and the Guatemalan quetzal with money transfer and travel tips plus Guatemalan quetzal exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Guatemalan quetzal info - general info about the Guatemalan quetzal
- Guatemalan quetzal in the markets - recent GTQ moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Guatemala - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Guatemalan quetzal cash online - travel money for Guatemala
- Sending money to Guatemala - save on Guatemalan quetzal bank transfers to Guatemala
- Guatemalan quetzal exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Guatemalan quetzal (GTQ) general currency information
What is the Guatemalan quetzal currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Guatemalan quetzal is GTQ and the symbol is Q.
Which countries use the Guatemalan quetzal?
It is the domestic currency in Guatemala.
Guatemalan quetzal (GTQ) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the GTQ to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Guatemala Trip Checklist
- Compare GTQ travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Guatemala
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Guatemala
Save money and time by Ordering your Guatemalan quetzal online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the GTQ cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Guatemalan quetzal otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Guatemala
Sending money to Guatemala
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Guatemala you need to start with finding out the latest Guatemalan quetzal foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Guatemala
When sending money to Guatemala it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Guatemalan quetzal amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted GTQ amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Guatemala.
Use our Send to GTQ calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Guatemalan quetzal deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!