Foreign Exchange Guide to Guyana
The domestic currency in Guyana is the Guyanaese dollar with currency code GYD. Read this foreign exchange guide to Guyana and the Guyanaese dollar with money transfer and travel tips plus Guyanaese dollar exchange cross rates.
In this guide we review :
- Guyanaese dollar info - general info about the Guyanaese dollar
- Guyanaese dollar in the markets - recent GYD moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Guyana - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Guyanaese dollar cash online - travel money for Guyana
- Sending money to Guyana - save on Guyanaese dollar bank transfers to Guyana
- Guyanaese dollar exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Guyanaese dollar (GYD) general currency information
What is the Guyanaese dollar currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Guyanaese dollar is GYD and the symbol is $.
Which countries use the Guyanaese dollar?
It is the domestic currency in Guyana.
Guyanaese dollar (GYD) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the GYD to USD exchange rate for the previous 3 months with rate alerts for days when the exchange rate moved up or down significantly or for 30 day highs and lows.
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Guyana
The official language is English often spoken with a creole flavor.
Cambios are licensed currency exchange houses. Most cambios are open from 8:00 hrs to 17:00 hrs and on Sundays 8:00 hrs to 16:00 hrs. It is important that you keep your cambios receipt, you will need to produce them to change Guyanese dollars on departure. Major credit cards and travellers cheques are accepted by most hotels, restaurants, supermarkets, car rental agencies and tour operators. Credit cards with CIRRUS and/or PLUS mark can be used at any Scotiabank ATM machines in Guyana. There are no international railway services to Guyana nor are there any domestic services. This is due to the fact that the entire system, the first in all of South America, was scrapped during the Burnham regime. When people in Guyana refer to buses, they mean minibuses. Minibuses travel throughout Guyana and are the cheapest way to travel Many parts of Guyana are separated by large rivers. These areas can be traversed by way of river taxi.
It is safer to drink purified bottled water. There are several brands that are inexpensive and widely available. Guyana's climate is equatorial; hot but pleasant for most of the year. The heat is tempered by the sea breezes on the coast. An Umbrella is useful during the two wet seasons, extending roughly through May and June and from December to the end of January.
Guyana Trip Checklist
- Compare GYD travel cash rates - probably why you are here!
- Search Hotel deals - Save on your accomodation in Guyana
- Lonely Planet - world's best travel guide (coupon and deals)
Travel money for Guyana
Save money and time by Ordering your Guyanaese dollar online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the GYD cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Guyanaese dollar otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Travel Money for Guyana
Sending money to Guyana
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Guyana you need to start with finding out the latest Guyanaese dollar foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Getting a better deal when sending money to Guyana
When sending money to Guyana it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Guyanaese dollar amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted GYD amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Guyana.
Use our Send to GYD calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Guyanaese dollar deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!