This is a foreign exchange guide to Honduras, the Honduran Lempira currency plus sending HNL transfers and travel tips.
In this Honduras currency guide we take a look at :
- Honduran Lempira info - general info about the Honduran Lempira
- Honduran Lempira in the markets - recent HNL moves and predictions from the FX markets
- Travelling in Honduras - currency & money saving tips
- Buying Honduran Lempira cash online - travel money for Honduras
- Sending money to Honduras - save on Honduran Lempira bank transfers to Honduras
- Honduran Lempira exchange rates - latest & historic exchange rates.
Honduran Lempira (HNL) general currency information
What is the Honduran Lempira currency code and symbol?
The three letter currency code for the Honduran Lempira is HNL and the symbol is L.
Which countries use the Honduran Lempira?
It is the domestic currency in Honduras.
Honduran Lempira (HNL) in the markets
The interactive chart below shows the HKD to HNL exchange rate and trend for the previous 3 months:
Travel, Currency and Money saving tips for Honduras
Travel money for Honduras
Save money and time by Ordering your Honduran Lempira online from Travelex, you get better rates and can pick up the HNL cash locally or even on travel day at the airport.
Another popular option is to use a Pre-paid Travel Card. Your Debit/Credit Card provider will charge you 2% from market mid-rate, but your bank may also charge an extra 3% as an “Overseas Transaction Charge” plus “Overseas ATM” fees for withdrawing cash.
For card purchases if offered a choice of currencies always select to Pay in Honduran Lempira otherwise you may get much worst exchange rates.
Honduras Trip Checklist
Sending money to Honduras
When searching around for information on how to get a good exchange rate when sending money to Honduras you need to start with finding out the latest Honduran Lempira foreign-transfer exchange rate.
Then compare your bank's exchange rates to several licensed FX providers exchange rate and fees to see how much you can save (we make that calculation easy here).
Get a better deal for foreign transfers to Honduras
When sending money to Honduras it’s important to compare your bank’s rates & fees with those we have negotiated with our partner money transfer providers. To get a better deal you should follow these 4 simple steps :
- Open an account with a BER reviewed FX provider (id docs may be required)
- You specify the local or Honduran Lempira amount you want to transfer
- Make a local currency domestic transfer for the requested amount to the provider's bank account in your country
- Once your funds are received by the provider the converted HNL amount will be transfered to the recipient account you specify in Honduras.
Use our Send to HNL calculator to compare the exchange rates of FX specialist providers rates versus your bank's standard rates you can hopefully save around 5% and maybe more - end result is more Honduran Lempira deposited into the recipient bank account and less margins and fees kept by the banks!